Choose from the following subject categories: 

Shares and securities
Tax information 
Change of name and/or address
AGM and annual report 
Unsolicited offers to purchase IAG shares 
Personal information on the share register 
Transfer of ownership and deceased estates 
Unpaid dividends 
Dividends and interest payments 
Contact details - share registry 

Shares and securities

Q. What securities does Insurance Australia Group Limited (IAG) have publicly listed in Australia?

A. IAG's shares are listed on the Australian Securities Exchange Limited (ASX) under:

  • IAG ordinary shares—ORD 
  • IAGPD capital notes 

IAG's wholly owned subsidiary IAG Finance (New Zealand) Limited's New Zealand branch issued reset exchangeable securities in January 2005 and they are listed on the ASX under:

  • IANG reset exchangeable securities—RES

Q. How do I buy or sell any of my securities?

A. IAG has securities on issue as described above. The current market price for these securities is shown on the home page of this site, or on the share price page of this site.

These securities can be purchased or sold through a registered stockbroker. The ASX operates a stockbroker referral service and can be contacted on 1300 300 279 or via the ASX website (by accessing this link you will be transferred to a third party site that is being provided for your convenience). 

You may also wish to check your local telephone directory to contact a stock broker near to you. 

If you do not have a relationship with a stockbroker, our share registrar has a convenient online share sale facility called Investor Trade, which provides a secure and easy way for you to sell shares without the need to sign up with a stockbroker.

The service offers competitive broker rates, with costs detailed up front and deducted from total sale proceeds. If you are interested in using this service, or wish to learn more, please log on to Investor Trade. Please note: to use this service you will need your Shareholder Reference Number (SRN) and registered postcode.

If you are an Australian or New Zealand resident, you can use Investor Trade to sell all or part# of your ordinary shares in an issuer sponsored shareholding that is below A$50,000 in value. The shares must be in your name (no account designation) and you must have a registered address in either Australia or New Zealand. 

Your sale may be processed the same business day if received before the market closes, or the next business day if the market is closed.

Real-time identity verification is done online seamlessly with your registered address determining the forms of identification required. Your identification needs to be current and generally, we recommend you have your passport, drivers licence, Medicare card*, address and/or date of birth, handy to complete this process.

For more information visit Investor Trade today.

# A partial sale cannot take place if the remaining holding balance is less than a marketable parcel (less than A$500 in value).
* for Australian residents only

The five major Australian banks also offer a stock broker facility. You can contact them as follows: 

ANZ E*Trade 1300 658 355
Commonwealth Securities 131 519 
National Online 131 380 
St George Direct Shares 1300 133 500 
Westpac Broking 131 331 

The fee for trading securities varies between stock brokers and we recommend you contact a number of stock brokers to determine which broker best suits your needs. 

If you wish to purchase or sell securities but would like more information, you should seek independent financial advice.

If you have any questions about your IAG securities please contact the IAG Shareholder Information Line on 1300 360 688. 

Q. Will IAG be listed on any overseas exchanges?

A. No. IAG's ordinary and preference shares are only listed on the ASX.

Q. Can I convert my issuer sponsored securities to my broker sponsored holding?

A. If you wish to have your holding recorded through your broker on the CHESS sub-register then you should contact your broker to arrange this.

Q. Can you give me my SRN?

A. Yes. If you have an Issuer sponsored holding you will need to contact our Share Registry. If you have a broker sponsored (CHESS) holding then you will need to contact your sponsoring broker.


Tax information

Q. What are the tax consequences of owning IAG shares acquired from the demutualisation? What is the cost base?

A. Shareholders who acquired shares through the NRMA Demutualisation can download the ATO Tax Information Sheet (March 2001) (85kb .pdf). It applies only to IAG shareholders who are Australian residents and does not apply to shares held as trading stock or revenue assets. IAG shares, issued to you as a result of demutualisation of NRMA Insurance Limited, are taken to be acquired on 19 June 2000 at $1.78 per share for tax purposes.

If you bought up to 181 additional shares through the Listing Facility, which IAG (formerly NRMA Insurance Group Limited) offered at demutualisation of NRMA Insurance Limited, you are taken to have acquired them on 8 August 2000 at a cost of $2.75 per share. If you acquired your shares via an on market purchase you will need to refer to your contract note or stockbroker for the purchase cost.

Q. Should I provide my tax file number (TFN) or Australian business number (ABN) or exemption code?

A. You are not required to quote your TFN or ABN or exemption code. However, if you choose not to provide your TFN, ABN or exemption code, and you are an Australian resident for taxation purposes, we are required to deduct tax at the highest rate, plus the Medicare levy, from any unfranked portion of your dividend. Collection of TFNs is strictly regulated by taxation laws. If you wish to quote your TFN or ABN or exemption code, manage your shareholding by providing your TFN or ABN details online, or by contacting the Share Registry.

If you are unsure as to whether you fall within an exemption code, the exemption code number which is relevant to you or whether you require a TFN or ABN, you should contact the Australian Taxation Office on 1300 720 092.


Change of name and/or address

Q. How do I advise the Share Registry of a change of address?

A. If your shareholding is held in an individual name, manage your shareholding by updating your details online or advise our Share Registry by calling them or in writing, and include your SRN.

If you have a joint shareholding, or are a company holding, you need to sign a change of address form. You may obtain a change of address form by contacting the Share Registry. You will need to forward this form by mail to the Share Registry. If your holding is broker sponsored in CHESS you must notify any change of address to your sponsoring broker.  

Q. Can I have my name changed on my holding?

A. To register your shares in your new name you must write to our Share Registry requesting the change, quoting your SRN and enclosing a copy of your marriage certificate or deed poll. If your holding is broker sponsored in CHESS you must ask your broker to make the change for you.

Q. Can I download forms from the website to change my name?

A. A limited number of forms are available and personalised shareholder forms can be accessed by logging in to our Share Registry.


AGM and annual report

Q. When will the next IAG annual general meeting (AGM) be held?

A. Details of all upcoming shareholder events can be found in the key dates section of our website. Shareholders receive a notice of meeting prior to the AGM.

Q. Where can I get a copy of the annual review or annual report?

A. Annual reviews and/or annual reports are sent to shareholders who elect to receive a copy. You can also view our current annual review and annual report online, as well as all of our previous reports to shareholders in the annual reports section of this website.

Q. Can you send me the annual review or annual report via email? 

A. Yes. To receive email notification when the report is available online, manage your shareholding by nominating for electronic communication. You can also download and complete a form.


Unsolicited offers to purchase IAG shares

Q. Why have I been sent an unsolicited offer to purchase my shareholding?

A. IAG is aware that organisations have made unsolicited offers for IAG shares. IAG has advised the Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC) of these approaches. Shareholders who receive any unsolicited offer are urged to read the document carefully and obtain professional advice before deciding whether or not to accept the offer. IAG does not endorse any unsolicited offer to buy IAG shares from our shareholders.

Q. Can my shareholder details be given to a third party?

A. Until November 2010, if you were a holder of shares listed on the ASX, such as IAG, some limited information about you was available for viewing at the Share Registry by any person upon payment of a prescribed fee, or by other IAG shareholders without cost. Under Section 173 of the Corporations Act, the information was restricted to your name, address, current shareholding and the date of share acquisition.

In November 2010, the Australian Federal Parliament amended the Corporations Act to include a Proper Purpose Test. This means that companies can now refuse to provide access to their share registers unless the stated purpose meets the requirements of the Test. Other IAG shareholders are still able to view the register without cost.

The amendment does not affect access to sensitive personal information such as your Securityholder Reference Number (SRN) or Holder Identification Number (HIN), bank account details, tax file number or dividend payment history. This information is not disclosed or available for public viewing.

Q. What alternatives are there if I wish to sell my shares for a market price?

A. Shares may be sold on the ASX through any stock broker licensed by the ASX.  


Personal information on the Share Register

Q. How does IAG use my personal information?

A. IAG is committed to protecting the privacy of your personal information and to handling your personal information in a responsible manner in accordance with the Australian Privacy Act. Privacy and Security provides information explaining how we collect, use and disclose your personal information.


Transfer of ownership and deceased estates

Q. How can I transfer my shares to a family member or other person?

A. If you wish to transfer your shares to another person, other than through selling your shares on the ASX, you will need to complete a Transfer Form quoting your SRN. You can access this form after logging into the Share Registry’s online Investor Centre, or by calling our Share Registry

Q. The standard transfer form for off market transfers requires me to provide a state/territory of registration of the company. What is it?

A. IAG is registered in the Australian Capital Territory.

Q. Are there any charges to transfer shares?

A. If you buy or sell your shares through the ASX on market and a through a broker you will need to pay brokerage. There is also a charge to conduct a security check and validate an off market transfer of shares by a Standard Transfer Form with the IAG Share Registry.

Q. What happens if the shareholder dies?

A. If the holding is in the sole name of the deceased, the solicitor or representative of the estate should notify the Share Registry of the death and whether or not probate is being applied for. The registry will then advise the procedures for dealing with the holding. If the deceased is a joint holder, you should forward a certified copy of the death certificate with a request that the holding be registered in the name of the survivor. The request should include the holding's SRN.


Unpaid dividends

Q. How can shareholders find out if they have unpaid dividends or whether their details are up to date?

A. If shareholders have not received a dividend payment advice from us, they are encouraged to call or email our Share Registry to confirm their address details and find out whether they have any unpaid dividends.

Under Unclaimed Money legislation, payments that remain outstanding for six years or more may have been transferred to the Office of State Revenue (OSR). You will need to contact OSR on 1300 366 016 to claim any dividends that may have been transferred.

Also any outstanding dividends and shares may have been transferred to the ASIC if your shareholding has been flagged as Return Mail for a period of six years or more. To claim your shares and outstanding dividends you will need to contact ASIC on 1300 300 630.


Dividend and interest payments

Q. Is there a dividend reinvestment plan (DRP)?

A. There is a DRP available to holders of ordinary shares with a registered address within Australia and New Zealand. The DRP is currently operating.

Q. Can I receive my payment by cheque? 

A. If you are registered with an overseas address you can receive payment by cheque in Australian dollars. Australian resident investors only receive payment by direct credit or if you hold ordinary shares by participation in the DRP. Payments will only be made to Australian resident holders who supply their direct credit instructions for an Australian financial institution.

Q. Why doesn't the company pay Australian residents by cheque?

A. In line with several other large organisations and most government departments IAG has determined that direct credit generates substantial savings in comparison with payment by cheque, which benefits securityholders as a whole, because:

- payments are credited to your account on the payment date as cleared funds;
- it eliminates the delay involved in mail services and depositing the cheque and waiting for the funds to be cleared; and
- it removes the risk of loss or theft of cheques.

In addition, it benefits securityholders directly because:

- it is less expensive than cheques; and
- it reduces the administration costs of issuing large numbers of replacement payments.

Q. Is direct credit a safe method of payment?

A. Yes. Direct credit is a secure, common method of payment. It is used by most large organisations to pay, employees' salaries and most government departments to pay, pensions and other benefits. The majority of IAG securityholders receive their payments by direct credit. Payment by direct credit helps to eliminate the risk of loss or theft of cheques.

Q. I don't want to provide my account details. What happens if I don't provide them?

A. If you do not provide your account details, you will be sent a statement on the payment date advising you of the amount of your payment and that the amount is being held as your direct credit instructions had not been received. The dividend will not accrue interest while it is being held. Payment will be credited to your nominated account as soon as possible upon receipt of your direct credit instructions.

Q. What steps do I take to obtain payments due to me?

A. Please write to our Share Registry requesting that your outstanding payments be cancelled and your payments replaced by direct credit quoting your current account details. Please ensure you quote your Securityholder Reference Number (SRN) or your Holder Identification Number (HIN), provide your full current address and sign your letter.

Q. Can I change or add my direct credit instructions over the phone?

A. Yes, you can change or add your direct credit instructions over the phone. Please call our Share Registry and follow the prompts to complete this change.

Q. What if my direct credit account details have changed prior to dividend payment record date but I have been unable to inform you?

A. If you have changed your account since you sent us a direct credit instruction and have been unable to make arrangements prior to the record date to inform us of your new account details, or for the deposit to transfer to your new account, the payment will be rejected by your financial institution. Funds will be returned to IAG and a letter with a direct credit application form will be mailed to your registered address within five business days of receipt of the returned funds from your financial institution. You will need to return the direct credit application form with the new account details for your payment to be directly credited to your new account. Alternatively you can go to the manage your shareholding page and update your account details. Any outstanding dividend payments will be credited to your new account as soon as possible.

Q. What is the dividend policy for IAG shares?

A. IAG's dividend policy is to pay out between 60% and 80% of cash earnings in any given year. The fixing and payment of dividends is subject to the discretion of the board. The timing and amount of dividends, if any, and the level of franking, depends on, among other things, IAG's:

- financial condition;
- operating results;
- cash requirements;
- future prospects;
- any contractual, legal or regulatory restrictions on the payment of dividends by IAG; and
- any other factors deemed relevant.

As such, in any given period there can be no expectation that any dividends will be paid or the level to which those dividends will be franked.

Q. How often do RES make an interest payment?

A. IAG Finance (New Zealand) Limited expects to pay interest payments every quarter, in arrears on 15 March, June, September and December. Interest payments are subject to the Interest payment tests set out in the prospectus.

Q. Will the interest payment be fully franked?

A. Yes, it is expected that the interest payment will be fully franked. 


Contact details - share registry

Q. How do I contact the IAG Share Registry?

A. The Share Registry is Computershare Investor Services Pty Limited.

Computershare Investor Services Pty Ltd
GPO Box 4709
Melbourne VIC 3001
1300 360 688
 +61 (0)3 9415 4210 
+61 (0)3 9473 2470 (fax) 


Last updated