NRMA Insurance data reveals most storm affected regions, suburbs and towns in NSW, QLD and ACT.
03 Nov 2020
The latest claims data from IAG's NRMA Insurance business reveals that earlier this year, New South Wales, Queensland and the Australian Capital Territory experienced one of their most intense ‘Storm Seasons’ (October to March each year).
In the 2019-20 financial year, storm damage was responsible for over half (54%) of all home claims in NSW and 46% of all home claims in QLD. In the ACT, 75% of all home claims were caused by storm damage, compared to the ACT five-year average of 58%.
NRMA Insurance Executive General Manager Claims, Luke Gallagher said: “With Australia currently experiencing a La Niña weather system, we could see more severe storms and more intense rain throughout storm season this year.
New community research from NRMA Insurance also reveals significant numbers of Australians are experiencing ‘storm stress’:
- 85% of NSW residents say they experience ‘storm stress’, with the top three areas of concern being potential damage to homes (53%), the ability to drive safely in difficult conditions (40%) and potential damage to vehicles (38%);
- 86% of Queenslanders say they experience ‘storm stress’, with the top three areas of concern being potential damage to homes (54%), driving safely and worrying potential vehicle (both 41% each) and flash flooding around home or work (30%); and
- 96% of ACT residents say they experience ‘storm stress’, with the top three areas of concern being potential damage to homes (65%) and vehicles (59%) and driving safely in difficult conditions (50%).
“We urge residents to put aside some time over the weekend to get ready for storms by clearing their gutters and downpipes. Gutters are one of the first parts of your home to flood in a storm so taking time now to prepare could make a big difference when a storm hits. Please be careful though, and if in doubt, hire a professional.” Mr Gallagher said.
The official storm season runs from October through to March. This year, NRMA Insurance has launched ‘First Saturday’, a call-to-action for every Australian to dedicate the first Saturday of every month to carry out one small task to make their homes safer.
For more information, visit the First Saturday website.
To find out more about the most storm-affected regions and suburbs in your state and what you can do to prepare for storm season, please read the relevant media release:
- More than 615,000 Queensland households unprepared for severe weather this summer as storm season hits the state (464.31 KB)
- More than 1.3 million NSW households unprepared for severe weather as storm season begins (166.57 KB)
- 67,000 ACT households unprepared for severe weather this summer as storm season hits the state (384.31 KB)