You are here
You do not have to provide us with your personal information. However, if you don’t it may affect our ability to assist you or provide you with a product or service, including processing a claim.
If you want to deal with us while not identifying yourself (ie anonymously or by using a pseudonym) we will allow you to do this where it is practicable (for example where you make a general enquiry of us). Please tell us if you wish to do this and we will indicate whether, given the nature of the transaction, it is practicable.
Personal information we collect and hold
The personal information we collect and/or hold about you and other individuals (such as a co-insured or your spouse, partner or children) can include:
- name, date of birth, gender;
- contact details such as address, phone, fax and email;
- information relevant to providing a product or service such as:
- underwriting information like your claims history and driving history, and
- financial institution account details like your credit card or bank account number e.g. if the product or service is being paid for in this way or we are making a claim payment;
- information obtained as part of the management and processing of a claim e.g. information on a police report;
- details of insurance policies you hold or have held; and
- sensitive information such as health information (e.g. where health is relevant to underwriting an insurance policy or dealing with, managing, or processing a personal injury claim) or criminal records (e.g. where this information is relevant to underwriting an insurance policy or processing a claim).
How we collect and hold personal information
How we collect
We may collect personal information about you and other individuals in various ways including:
- over the phone,
- in person including at branches or offices,
- over the internet, including via our website, online forms and surveys, email or cookies (please see our Online Privacy Statement for more information on how we collect personal information online),
- in writing, including via hard copy forms.
From whom we collect
We may collect such information directly from you or through others, including the Entities listed in Table A below.
Table A: Entities through which we may collect your personal information
|Our agents and distributors||
|Our related entities and their agents, distributors||
|Our Service Providers||
|External Parties||For example:
We may also collect personal information from publicly available sources such as the phone book or public websites.
When we collect personal information from you about someone else
We and Our Parties listed in Table A on our behalf may seek to collect from you personal information about another person. This may happen if you apply for a product or service jointly with another person or you have personal information about another person which is relevant to a claim. For example, you may have the details of a witness to an accident for which you are claiming under an insurance policy.
If you provide us or Our Parties on our behalf with information about another person, then you must:
- have their consent to do so
- tell them:
- that you are disclosing their personal information to us, and
Holding personal information
We hold personal information electronically and on paper/in hard copy.
For the personal information we hold electronically we take reasonable security measures including firewalls, secure logon processes, encryption and intrusion monitoring technologies.
For the information we hold in hard copy/on paper we have in place reasonable confidentiality procedures and we also take reasonable security measures.
We also require our Service Providers to hold personal information securely.
The purposes for which we collect, hold, use and disclose personal information
We and Our Parties may:
- hold and use your personal information, and
- disclose your personal information to the Entities listed in Table A (above), for the purposes set out in Table B.
Table B: Purposes for which we and Our Parties may collect, hold, use and disclose personal information
|To deal with enquiries||We may need to collect your personal information to answer an enquiry you make|
|Providing a product or service||Including:
|Pricing a policy, offering excesses and discounts||For example pricing your policy and calculating or offering discounts|
|Maintaining and improving our products and services, auditing, quality assurance and training||For example we may review your personal information to see how our products and services can better suit your needs|
|Dealing with a claim||Including:
|Dealing with a complaint||For example a complaint made by you in respect of a product, service or claim|
|Communicating details about our products and services or conducting market research||For example we may tell you about products and services we provide (if you opt-in to receive such information)
For further information, please refer to the "Marketing" section below
|Facilitating our business operations||For example, for managing our IT infrastructures, databases, websites and statistical and maintenance purposes|
|Other purposes||Any other purpose communicated to you at the time we collected your personal information or as required or permitted by law|
Occasionally we may be required or authorised to collect personal information because of an Australian law or an order of a Court/Tribunal. If we are collecting personal information for this purpose we will tell you.
Some of the Entities listed in Table A (above) are located in countries outside of Australia such as the United States, New Zealand and India. We may disclose personal information to these parties. Our contractual arrangements with these Entities generally include an obligation for them to comply with Australian privacy laws.
Your personal information helps us to provide you with a range of leading insurance products and services.
If you have provided consent, we, Our Parties, and Our Service Providers, listed in Table A (as applicable), may collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information and contact you by post, SMS, email or telephone to:
- provide you with information and offers about our products and services (including through social media channels and websites)
- provide you with information and offers about products and services offered by:
- NRMA Motoring & Services and its related entities
- our agents and distributors
- our related entities, and
- other organisations we promote or their agents.
If you want to withdraw your consent to using your personal information for those marketing reasons, contact us to 'opt out' or follow the unsubscribe instructions in the relevant communication.
How you may access your personal information and seek correction of it
Accessing your information
You can request access to the personal information we hold about you. So that we can provide access quickly and efficiently, we may ask you to complete a 'Personal Information Access Request Form'. We may charge you a reasonable amount to cover matters such as retrieving, copying and sending out the information, but we will not charge you just for making the request.
If we aren't able to meet your request for access, we'll let you know why.
Keeping your information accurate
We take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we collect and store, use or disclose is accurate, up-to-date and complete. However, we rely on you to advise us of any changes to your information to help us do so. If you believe your personal information is not accurate, up-to-date or complete, then please let us know.
Complaints about how we handle your personal information
If you have a complaint about our handling of your personal information or an alleged breach of the privacy principles contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), please contact us and provide us with the details of your complaint/the alleged breach as well as any supporting evidence. You can call us on the number below or write to us using the following address, fax number, or email address:
Insurance Australia Limited
Reply Paid 62759,
Sydney, NSW 2000
Phone 1800 045 517
Toll Free Fax 1800 649 290
Email address: email@example.com
We will promptly acknowledge the complaint, carefully investigate it and determine the steps that we will undertake to resolve your complaint. We will contact you if we require any further information and will provide you with our determination once it is made. If you are unhappy with our determination, we will provide you details on how to take the complaint further.
- call one of our consultants on 132 132,
- write to us at:Customer Relations
Insurance Australia Limited
Reply Paid 62759
Sydney, NSW 2000
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org