IAG expands on-the-ground bushfire support for customers across Australia
10 Jan 2020
IAG, Australia’s largest general insurer, is urging customers in bushfire areas to contact them for support to lodge their claim, access emergency accommodation and financial assistance as soon as it is safe to do so.
IAG has received more than 5,000 bushfire-related claims since the beginning of September and has finalised over 20% of these claims to date.
Support for our customers (NRMA Insurance, RACV, CGU, WFI, SGIO)
IAG has set up claims teams to support customers in recovery centres across the country including Batemans Bay, Ulladulla, Wagga Wagga and Bega in NSW and the Adelaide Hills in SA. Claims teams were also available at the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre to support customers evacuated from Mallacoota.
The company will also be using qualified tradespeople from the local areas impacted to support with the recovery, ensuring customers’ homes can be efficiently assessed and repaired. This means IAG’s partner builders will source and use local trades and suppliers wherever possible, to get people back into their homes.
IAG CEO Australia Mark Milliner said: “The devastating loss of life and property in communities across the country as a result of this season’s bushfires has been heartbreaking. We have seen the true spirit of Australians with acts of bravery and dedication by our firefighters and emergency personnel.
“Our focus is on providing practical, on the ground support to provide immediate assistance to affected customers. We have a dedicated team managing claims from this event and have prioritised claims for vulnerable customers.
“We have had all hands-on deck since the bushfires started in September – identifying and calling customers potentially impacted and then contacting customers as soon as claims are lodged,” Mr Milliner said.
IAG donates helicopter to NSW Rural Fire Service
IAG has donated its NRMA Insurance helicopter to the NSW RFS to trial a new biodegradable, non-toxic fire retardant to help protect homes and properties this bushfire season. In an Australian first, it was deployed last weekend near Moruya, where it saved at least two homes in the line of fire.
The trial is part of IAG’s ongoing support over the past 18 months with NRMA Insurance partnering with the RFS to deploy the helicopter to help bushfire fighting efforts.
IAG community support
IAG has announced a range of additional measures to support employees, customers and the community including:
- Assessments and repairs: Our assessing and building teams have started assessments and make safe repairs where it’s safe to enter the impacted areas.
- Recovery centres: We have claims teams located at recovery centres in NSW, VIC and SA to help customers lodge claims, provide emergency accommodation and financial assistance.
- Major Event Rapid Response Vehicles (MERRVs): We will be deploying our MERRVs at sites around the NSW South Coast to give customers the ability to lodge their claim and receive emergency support at a location convenient to them. These locations will be confirmed over the coming days.
- Extended call centre: We have extended our call centre capacity to help affected customers lodge their claims as soon as possible.
- Customer counselling: Our disaster response customer support program is available where customers can receive free and confidential counselling by a team of psychologists experienced in providing post-incident support.
- Workplace giving: Any employee who donates to IAG partners including the Australian Red Cross, GIVIT and any organisation providing disaster relief will have their donation matched by IAG.
- Volunteering: IAG has introduced additional paid leave for employees who are emergency service volunteers, and extra counselling support.
Making a claim
We’re urging our customers impacted by the current bushfires to get in contact with us as soon as possible to make a claim so we can provide immediate help.
For assistance, customers can contact:
- NRMA Insurance: 13 11 23 or nrma.com.au
- CGU Insurance: 13 24 80 or cgu.com.au
- RACV: 13 72 28 or racv.com.au/insurance
- WFI Insurance: 1300 230 615 or wfi.com.au
- SGIC Insurance: 133 233 or sgic.com.au
- Coles Insurance: 1300 265 374 or financialservices.coles.com.au/insurance