You are here
Home » How we're helping our customers during COVID-19
How we're helping our customers during COVID-19
Our purpose is to make your world a safer place. That starts with our people, our customers and our community. IAG has a range of measures in place to respond to the evolving COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic to support our customers, employees, partners and the broader community.
Updated 27 July 2020
This is a difficult and uncertain time as COVID-19 continues to impact our communities. We have a range of measures in place to continue to protect our people, customers and the wider community, and this will continue to be based on the latest health and safety advice.
Customer support initiatives
The Help Program – helping NRMA Insurance, SGIO and SGIC home and motor customers
In April, we announced The Help Program, which includes a number of measures that help support NRMA Insurance, SGIO and SGIC Home and Motor Insurance customers who are struggling financially as a result of the pandemic – for example through unemployment or a reduction in personal or household income.
These measures will provide tailored solutions to suit the unique situation of individual customers, including:
- Access to premium reductions and deferrals;
- The option to change premium payments from annual to pay by the month instalments for no additional cost;
- Reduced excess amounts in the event of a claim; and
- Waived cancellation and administration fees for customers who cancel their policies.
Read about these measures in our announcement.
Small business customer support package and travel insurance refunds
In March, we announced a number of measures to help current small business and travel insurance customers.
The key measures, which apply to direct and brokered insurance offered through our NRMA Insurance, CGU, WFI, SGIO and SGIC brands, are:
- Travel insurance refunds for any unused proportion of premiums, including refunds where customers have not yet travelled and have not claimed under their policy, with no administration or cancellation fees;
- Deferred premium payments for up to six months for small businesses1 experiencing financial hardships;
- Refunds on the unused proportion of premiums for small businesses who cancel their insurance, with no administration or cancellation fees;
- Small businesses which need to close premises due to the impact of COVID-19 can maintain full insurance cover on the premises with no changes to premium; and
- Reduced timeframes in making payments to suppliers from 30 to no more than 15 business days.
Read about these measures in our announcement.
We understand that our customers may be experiencing financial hardship right now due to impacts of COVID-19. In addition to the specific measures that we’ve announced, our customer service team can provide our customers with different options to help them with their current situation.
We encourage our customers who may be facing hardship to contact us to discuss their options:
- NRMA Insurance: 132 132 or www.nrma.com.au
- CGU Insurance: 13 24 81 or www.cgu.com.au
- SGIO: 133 233 or www.sgio.com.au
- SGIC: 133 233 or www.sgic.com.au
- WFI: 1300 934 934 or www.wfi.com.au
- Coles Insurance: 1300 265 374 or colesinsurance.com.au
- IAL: Speak to your insurance broker or www.ial.com.au/contact
Our customers are able access a free and confidential phone counselling service provided by an independent psychological services organisation engaged by IAG, called Assure.
These services are delivered by a qualified team of psychologists with experience in specialised counselling and post incident support.
To access this offer and for further details, our customers can call us or contact us online through our brand websites.
Travel insurance customers
IAG provides travel insurance policies under our NRMA Insurance, CGU, SGIO and SGIC brands.
We have updated our travel insurance to reflect the latest Government advice on both international and domestic travel. We encourage customers to visit the Smart Traveller website for the latest advice.
Customers who have purchased a travel insurance policy under one of our brands should visit our websites or contact us to ensure they understand their policy and what coverage they have. This will depend on the policy, when it was purchased and their intended travel date.
To help customers whose travel has been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, we are currently offering refunds on insurance premiums for travel insurance policies under our CGU, NRMA Insurance, SGIO and SGIC brands.
For information on eligibility or to request a refund, customers should visit:
Landlord's insurance customers
We provide landlord's insurance through our NRMA Insurance, WFI, CGU, SGIO and SGIC brands.
We understand this is a difficult time for many landlords and tenants. Due to the unprecedented circumstances of COVID-19 we have introduced the following changes to help our residential landlord insurance customers and their tenants:
- Landlords are currently only required to provide proof of financial loss, rather than a tenant eviction notice or intent to re-let, when lodging a rent default claim.
- We will not pursue the recovery of rent from tenants that are experiencing financial hardship when processing rent default claims.
- If landlords are receiving reduced rent because of COVID-19, we encourage them to contact our claims teams to discuss their individual circumstances and the options that may be available to them.
To protect our people and our customers we are increasing the use of our virtual assessing processes – for example using a live video assessment. This has been designed to minimise face-to-face interaction for customers who have made claims. Our assessors will be contacting customers to arrange virtual assessments.
If we’re unable to provide our virtual assessing services, we will be asking our assessors and customers appropriate screening questions before our people visit customers.
Our assessors will also use appropriate Personal Protective Equipment and follow the appropriate health and safety advice of authorities.
Broker support package
In addition to supporting our customers, we have introduced a number of initiatives to help our broker partners during the COVID-19 pandemic, including:
- Free counselling services via Assure
- Access to Lifeline Accidental Counsellor training programs
- Professional development (including a webinar series with National Insurance Brokers Association to provide Continuing Professional Development accredited learning and development opportunities for insurance brokers Australia-wide)
- Digital marketing campaign support with digital agency, OneAffiniti
- A CGU speaker webinar series exclusively for broker partners
Read more in our announcement.
Poncho Insurance discounts
Poncho Insurance offers customers a monthly car insurance policy, with an easy monthly charge and no cancellation fees, similar to a monthly subscription. This gives us the ability to adapt flexibly to our customer needs.
In response to COVID-19, Poncho is temporarily reducing monthly premiums by 30% for new and existing customers for car insurance.
For more information visit: ponchoinsurance.com.au/covid-19
For specific information on how our brands are responding to COVID-19 visit:
- CGU Insurance – www.cgu.com.au/coronavirus
- NRMA Insurance – www.nrma.com.au/coronavirus
- SGIO - www.sgio.com.au/coronavirus
- SGIC - www.sgic.com.au/coronavirus
- WFI – www.wfi.com.au/coronavirus
- Coles Insurance – https://financialservices.coles.com.au/covid19
- RACV – www.racv.com.au/covid-19.html
- Poncho –ponchoinsurance.com.au/covid-19/
- IAL – www.ial.com.au/coronavirus.html