Are you ready? How to prepare for a disaster
06 Oct 2016
IAG’s purpose is to make your world a safer place and we are working to make your world safer during the upcoming storm and fire season through our partnerships with the SES in NSW and QLD and the Australian Red Cross.
Preparing now for extreme summer weather can help reduce damage, loss and disruption to our customers, communities and our businesses.
In preparation for the Emergency Season, the Red Cross is urging all Australians to act now and avoid some of the heartbreak people go through after a disaster hits. It wants people to start thinking about what matters most, then make a plan to protect it, using its RediPlan resource.
The Red Cross’s RediPlan (which we support through the Australian Business Roundtable) helps families assess their risks and create a plan to prepare for disaster. The SES is also working hard this week to remind people that Storm Season is approaching.
Here are some simple things you can do to be prepared for severe weather and fires:
- Maintain your yard and balcony so things don’t get blown around in strong winds
- Clean your gutters, to prevent blockages and fire hazards
- Trim overhanging branches around your home
- Check your insurance policy is current and adequate (of course!)
- Make a plan for your family that outlines what you would do in an emergency (the Red Cross’s Rediplan and the SES’s Home Emergency Plan are great resources for this too)